Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - FilmReview

Article author: Alwyn Ash


Better late than never...

I really have to admit, the prequels left this reviewer feeling cold. The casting, dialogue, premise, over-blown visual effects, just about everything felt "wrong". As someone who keeps the original trilogy (Episodes IV, V and VI) in his heart, I had expected something more, in terms of plot, characterisation and style. And so, with this dislike firmly distancing myself from anything that the Star Wars universe might now have to offer, I hesitated in watching The Clone Wars CGI animation for fear of the same annoyances; the negative reviews published on various websites and by well-known reviewers did nothing to help my own negative opinions. However, finally, I decided to watch the feature-length episode this week - almost five years after its initial cinematic release...

And I'm talking about the 2008 version, not the 2003 television series - who's idea was it to have these two projects with the same name anyhow? Confusing!

Set between Star Wars Episodes II and III (Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith), the Star Wars Universe is expanded on, with the introduction of new characters. Voiced by Ashley Eckstein, Ahsoka Tano is instantly my favourite, as Padawan to Jedi Anakin Skywalker. Reprising their original roles are Anthony Daniels as C-3PO, Samuel L. Jackson as Mace Windu, and Christopher Lee as the sinister Count Dooku.






Production values have been given the negative treatment for being too "cheap, wooden, non-engaging, and out-of-date", "harmless and mostly charmless", and "the characters have hair that looks molded from Play-Doh". Ouch.

Now, I am no fan of the new wave of Star Wars that has originated from Hollywood since the debut of Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace, but I was genuinely surprised by how much I enjoyed The Clone Wars. Perhaps not seeing Hayden Christensen in the role of Anakin helped, who always felt more like a cheap soap opera actor, but this experience gave my heart an almighty jolt of excitement for the first time since Return of the Jedi. And, quite frankly, is it even fair to compare this to the live-action movies? I mean, who watched the Star Wars: Ewoks animation and got so upset that they cast its memory into a black hole? Even the feature films Caravan of Courage (1984) and The Battle for Endor (1985), set prior to Star Wars Episode VI, aren't dissected in the same way that The Clone Wars has been - or perhaps I am wrong?

So please excuse me when I say that this CGI animation is light-hearted fun, designed to appeal to people young and old - anyone who criticises it with adult eyes really should get out more often, I feel...

The movie also received complaints that it displayed "too much violence" for children. Really? Well I guess that is a matter of opinion, but haven't other shows such as Doctor Who been accused similarly? The Clone Wars debut was engaging, humorous, and added a pinch of storytelling that I would have believed too absurd if I hadn't watched it with my own eyes - the kidnapping of Jabba the Hutt's son, Rotta! Thankfully, however, the whole affair left me wanting more of the same, so job well done, I think.

The plot focuses on the conflict between the Separatists, who control the majority of the hyperlanes, and the Republic. The kidnapping of Jabba's son is an attempt to persuade the alien gangster to join the Separatists' cause. There is also a battle raging on the planet Christophsis, where the Clones (Republic) gain an advantage after a struggle. This is where young Ahsoka is introduced to Anakin, sent by Master Yoda as his Padawan. Later, she and Jedi Knight Anakin are tasked with rescuing the young Hutt before harm befalls him.

Ahsoka Tano has gained herself a new fan. And with new feature films being commissioned, perhaps now is the best time to go back and discover a little piece of Star Wars CGI magic...